Wikipedia Trail: From Sindbad to Lycée Charlemagne

(Image Information: Sindbad the Sailor, Wikipedia)
I started by searching for Sindbad the Sailor on Wikipedia since his story is the most recent I have read for this class. Wikipedia describes Sindbad as "a fictional mariner and the hero of a story-cycle of Middle Eastern origin." From this page, I was led to The Count of Monte Cristo, which is simply described as "an adventure novel by French author Alexandre Dumas." I am familiar with Dumas, though I have yet to finish the Count of Monte Cristo. According to Wikipedia, the main character in the Count of Monte Cristo uses the name Sindbad the Sailor as an alias at one point. I loved learning this fact, and it makes me glad I read Sindbad. 
Next, I went to the page of Auguste Maquet who is described as "a French author, best known as the chief collaborator of French novelist Alexandre Dumas." I was very intrigued to find out that Alexandre Dumas worked with a ghostwriter. Apparently, it was Maquet's idea, however, which makes it better in my eyes. Wikipedia states that Maquet cowrote many of Dumas's most famous works, such as  The Count of Monte Cristo and The Three Musketeers. In total, he helped Dumas with 18 novels. I can't believe I never knew this!
(Image Information: Auguste Maquet, Wikipedia)
From Auguste Maquet I went to Lycée Charlemagne, a school or lycée that "offers two-year courses preparing students for entry to the Grandes écoles, divided into seven classes." This is the school that Maquet studied at and later taught at. I certainly never expected to end up reading about a French school when I looked up Sindbad, so I was surprised and entertained by this assignment. The stuff about Dumas's ghostwriter, Maquet, was the most interesting to me. I hope my readers like this post!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Introduction to A Crazy Cat Lady

Week 9 Story: Alex, the Boy Who Stole Fox Power