Week 13 Story: Tom, King O' the Cats

(Image Information: Black Cat, Pixabay)

The King o' the Cats: By Joseph Jacobs

This is the story of King O' the Cats from his perspective.
My name is King Tom. I am the King O' the Cats. I have not always been king, however. Once upon a time, I was known merely as Old Tom. This was back in the day when I lived with a human family. My family's name was Marlow. Nights with the Marlow family were usually quite peaceful, and the night I became king started off like all others. It was a calm evening. Mrs. Marlow and I were dozing by the fire, waiting for Mr. Marlow to come home from work. All of a sudden, Mr. Marlow came running in, appearing nervous and agitated. Naps interrupted, Mrs. Marlow and I sat up. 
"Why, what is it, my dear?" The Mrs. asked her husband. 
"You'll never believe it, but I must tell you! I cannot keep it to myself! I have had the oddest occurrence and I simply don't know what to think."
Mrs. Marlow and I looked at him. "Well, do go on my dear. What happened?"
He looked at me, and then glanced away. "Well, I was digging a grave for old Mr. Kelsey, when I must have dozed off. I woke up to the strangest sight. Nine black cats were coming towards me, eight of them carrying a small box, that appeared to be a coffin for one of their own. Every third step they took, they would meow in chorus. 
"My word! Could it be?" I meowed. 
"Yes, just like that, Old Tom. They meowed just the same... anyway, the ninth cat was the head of the procession. They walked all the way up to me, meowing every third step.
"I can't believe it!" I meowed loudly.
"Yes, just like that." Mr. Marlow answered me.
"Anyway, they made their way to me, and when they reached me, the ninth cat spoke!"
"MEOW!" I yowled.
"No, this time it was not just like that! Old Tom, can you believe it? The cat spoke to me in English!"
I was frozen in shock, and Mr. Marlow continued. 
"He came up to me and said: "Tell Tom Tildrum that Tim Toldrum is dead.""
At this, my hair stood up in disbelief. I sat up straight. "King Tim is dead?"
Mr. and Mrs. Marlow looked at me. "Now calm down Tom, what's the matter with you?" Mrs. Marlow said. 
I couldn't take it anymore. 
"I am the King O' the Cats!" I yowled joyously! "Goodbye, dear Marlows." and with that, I ran out. The Marlows never saw me again, but from time to time, I checked up on them. They lived many more years, as calmly and happily as before, though they never got another cat. Me? I had no regrets about abandoning them. I was King O' the Cats! I have been ruling ever since. 


Author's Note:

This is a retelling of King O' the Cats. I did not change the story, merely told it from Old Tom's point of view. I think the original story is super cute and perfect for any cat lover. I enjoyed imagining the scenes through Tom's eyes. I created my own dialogue for Tom but kept most of the original dialogue for Mr. Marlow. I hope my readers enjoy!

Comments

  1. Hey Ann Marie,

    I loved this story about Old Tom. It was really funny, and I laughed quite a bit. I thought it was really funny that Mr. Marlow was digging a grave and he fell asleep. I don't know how you fall asleep when you're digging a grave, but ok. I think this story was really creative, and you executed the transition to Tom's point of view very well. Great work!

    Brady

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ann Marie,

    The King o the cats! I loved your title and the story even more. I feel that telling the story through Tom's eyes creates a new a refreshing look for the story. I love the creativity! I actually didn't see any grammatical errors so great job. Hope you are having a great semester!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ann Marie,
    I loved this story and the title really drew me in. I loved the creativity and telling the story from Tom's perspective was really cool! Keep up the good work and good luck to you for the rest of the semester!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Introduction to A Crazy Cat Lady

Week 9 Story: Alex, the Boy Who Stole Fox Power