Reading Notes: Chinese Fairy Tales, Part A

Bibliography: Chinese Fairy Book, Richard Wilhelm, Translated by Frederick H. Martens.
Story:Yang Oerlang.

Reading Notes: Yang Oerlang

Beautiful Sentences: "Now you must know that at that time there were still ten suns in the heavens, glowing and burning like fire."
I thought this was the most beautiful sentence in the story. I think describing the suns as glowing and burning like fire paints a pretty picture in the mind of the reader. It makes me want to practice my descriptive writing in my story this week.

Why I Chose This Story:
I found it interesting to read another version of how we came to only have one sun. There is a common piece of Chinese folklore that describes an archer shooting down the suns. I had never heard this version of Yang Oerlang crushing them with mountains. That is why this was my favorite story of them all.

Story Rewriting Ideas:
I love the idea of the ten suns being gods and I think it would be interesting to do a little more research about them and then maybe come up with my own story about the death of nine suns. I could also add elements of family love in my story to add more aspects of this story. 

Hollywood Casting

Mother/Second Daughter of the Ruler of Heaven: Gemma Chan 
(Image Information: Gemma Chan, Wikipedia)

Yang Oerlang: Harry Shum Jr
(Image Information: Harry Shum Jr., Flickr)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Introduction to A Crazy Cat Lady

Week 9 Story: Alex, the Boy Who Stole Fox Power