Week 11 Story: The Fairy Bride

The Fairy Bride

At sixteen years old, Annie was pretty sure she was grown enough to know whether or not something was good for her. Her parents, evidently, disagreed. She was being forced to marry a man whom she had no love for, just because her parents wanted it. She was currently in the kitchen, trying to argue some sense into her mom, who was washing the dishes. So far, Annie hadn't achieved much. 
 "Honey, if you would just calm down and listen to us, maybe you'd understand that we are just trying to do what's best for you. We love you more than anything and we know what's best." Her mom said, drying a dish.
Annie could feel a headache coming on already. "Mom!" she said, "How can this be what's best when I am clearly miserable? You know, just because I'm young doesn't mean I'm not a human being with feelings and opinions!" 
Mom sighed. "Annie now you're just being dramatic. I know you are unhappy right now, but once you get to know him better I am sure you will see that your father and I were right all along." She put the dish in the cabinet. Annie gritted her teeth, "Okay, I know that's what you think, but I think this is a terrible idea. Why don't I get a say in this? You understand I'm not a child, right? It's not like I'm six and don't want to go to school. I'm an adult and this is my life you are deciding. Can't you see this is important to me?"
Her mom turned around, "Actually, you ARE a child, which is why your father and I get to make this decision. You know, it would actually be adult of you to be mature about our decision. And yes, I can clearly see this is important to you, but have you ever thought that it is important to ME too? You can be so self-centered sometimes, I swear. But I suppose that's normal for teenage girls, so I shouldn't take it out on you." With that, her mom walked out of the kitchen. "Ughhh!' Annie huffed. "My parents are so unfair, and I know I'm right. No one should be forced to marry someone they don't love." 
(Image Information: Woods, Pixabay)
She walked outside. In front of her were the woods she had grown up playing in. She loved the woods; it was her place of peace and tranquility. The woods were beautiful, sometimes they almost felt magic. Annie decided to go for a walk. 
As soon as she entered the woods, it was easier to breathe. Annie could feel her anxiety drifting away. She wandered for a while, finally taking a break by a meandering stream. She sat down on a fallen tree and put her head in her hands. "Please don't make me marry him," she whispered to herself. 
Suddenly, a rustling began, and many birds flew out of the surrounding trees. Annie looked around warily. Birds flying away usually meant danger. Her heart quickened but she remained still. Nothing looked out of place. She began to feel calm again, in fact, it was like a warm blanket had been wrapped around her, leaving her feeling safe and content. 
She didn't know how long she had been sitting there, blissfully, before she realized she was not alone. Sitting on the tree beside her was a man. He looked human, but there was something vaguely unnatural about him. She looked at him and felt feelings wash over her that she had never felt before. It felt like magic. He took her hand, and together they stood up and walked deeper into the woods.

Annie's parents never saw her again.


Bibliography: American Indian Fairy Tales, collected and published by Henry Schoolcraft.
Author's Note: This story is based on The Fairy Bride from American Indian Fairy Tales. The original story is quite similar. It is about a young girl upset about an arranged mariage who seeks solace in the woods, her favorite place, and doesn't come back. She is last seen holding hands with a fairy, which is why she was called the fairy bride. I hope this helps explain by vague ending. 

Comments

  1. Hey Ann Marie,

    What an interesting story! I have enjoyed reading the stories these last two weeks. They are fun and different. I wonder where some of them stem from. This one for instance, what is this tale based on? But as far as your story goes, it was well written and kept my attention. I was curious as to what time period it was set in. Arranged marriages are pretty antiquated but the dialog seemed more modern. I can see why someone in this day and age would be unhappy about having to be forced to marry someone.
    -Elyse

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ann Marie,
    Nice job on the story! I read the Fairy Bride and briefly reflected on using it for my story of the week, but I decided not to since I couldn’t think of a way to rework it. You did a great job though. I think the ending was fairly sufficient; it definitely has a spooky feeling, just like the original story. Did you think about what Annie’s parents’ reasoning might be for doing an arranged marriage? Would you have it be cultural? If you end up needing to rewrite the story I’d definitely explore that a little.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ann Marie,

    I enjoyed reading your story. I definitely feel sorry for the poor girl because I don't think anyone should be forced to MARRY someone they don't like. I actually can't even imagine what that would be like. You did a great job of making the story feel like something that was set in modern times rather than an old Indian folk tale. Enjoy your last few weeks of the semester!

    Brady

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Introduction to A Crazy Cat Lady

Week 9 Story: Alex, the Boy Who Stole Fox Power