Reading Notes: More English Fairy Tales, Part B

The King o' the Cats: By Joseph Jacobs

I loved this story so much. This is one that I will forever hold dear and hold on to for late generations. I cannot believe I had never heard it before! It's a funny and cute story about a cat and his family. I love how the author captured the cat, Old Tom's, presence and personality. I think the author must have been a cat lover, or he at least must have been around cats a lot. I like how the husband refers to the cat as "our friend" and the wife refers to him as "Old Tom here." It makes the tale even cuter to hear them speak of him as a person or respected being, as one should. Growing up, my favorite book series was Warriors, by Erin Hunter. The series was told through the perspective of cats living in the wild, and it deals with serious matters like taking care of each other, dealing with conflict, being a kind and good leader, and losing loved ones. Having loved those books so much, I think it could be fun to write about what Old Tom does after he runs off to be King. Another idea is to retell the story through Old Tom's eyes. What must he have been thinking? What thoughts were going through his head? Was he sad to leave his family? What relation does he have to these mystery cats? These are some questions that would be answered. 
(Image Information: Black Cat, Pixabay)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Introduction to A Crazy Cat Lady

Week 9 Story: Alex, the Boy Who Stole Fox Power