Reading Notes: English Fairy Tales: Part B, Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox, by Joseph Jacobs

I highly enjoyed this story. Finally, a story where the good guy wins! It's especially rare that the innocent woman escapes the wrath of her opponent. I was quite pleased with the ending of this one.
(Image Information: Mr Fox, Blogspot)

This story revolves around Lady Mary, who sounds like a pretty cool woman. The tale begins with "Lady Mary was young, and Lady Mary was fair. She had two brothers and more lovers than she could count." I think that's a pretty badass way to describe the main character, and especially to start your whole story with.
So I am totally a fan of Lady Mary, which I think would make writing a story based on this one super fun.
I found the plot of this story interesting; We already knew the premise, so when Lady Mary finds dead bodies in her lover's closet, that is no surprise. What I expected to happen next, however, was for her to turn around and find him behind her, only to be killed and added to the collection. When she escapes, I expect her to be forced into marrying him and then killed. It was surprising to me that she got away, confronted him in front of everyone, and then has her family kill him. It was a happy surprise. Go Lady Mary!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Introduction to A Crazy Cat Lady

Week 9 Story: Alex, the Boy Who Stole Fox Power