Lab, Week 12

(Image Information: TARDIS, Pixabay)

 For this story lab, I read chapter 2 of EmpoWord. The chapter begins with a Doctor Who quote, which is why I thought it appropriate to share this picture of the TARDIS. The quote, which is actually from Steven Moffat, writer of the show, goes "We're all stories in the end." You may have heard this quote before as it is pretty popular, and for good reason. As EmpoWord discusses, there are multiple meanings we can derive from this quote. The chapter then moves on to talking about narration. According to the chapter, an interesting, well-told story in writing needs description and deliberate choices.


 This story lab was very educational and I think having read the chapter will make me a better writer. It talks about everything from plot shapes and form to writing from different points of view. One of my favorite things that I read about was characterization and how to use specific details to enhance your characters. Specifically, the chapter used the "crysmile" as an example. This is a detail that can be added to round out a character.  For example, instead of describing a character in basic terms like "she was kind and funny" you can add specific details like "one thing that symbolizes her character is her "crysmile" when she would always smile while she cried." I learned the difference between flat and round characters and static and dynamic characters too.
There is seriously so much good information for writers on EmpoWord. I loved it so much that I bookmarked it and plan to go back to it over the summer when I have more free time and plan to get some serious writing done! EmpoWord is a resource I wish I had had access to previously because it answers a lot of questions I have had about writing. I am looking forward to starting a new writing project over the summer and with the help of EmpoWord I hope to become a better writer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Introduction to A Crazy Cat Lady

Week 9 Story: Alex, the Boy Who Stole Fox Power