Growth Mindset


Carol Dweck's growth mindset theory is a positive teaching method that has been proven to have good results. It focuses on changing the mindsets of students so that they are no longer satisfied by receiving good grades but feel the need to constantly be challenged. This removes the constant need for validation that many people have. It is an interesting theory, one that I had not heard much of before this lesson. I read one of the articles that does not agree with the theory and I see the authors point. The theory is pretty vague and for many classrooms, it may not work perfectly. I also see how it could lower children's self-esteem and make them feel like they don't have the potential for success. 
I definitely think I was raised to have a fixed mindset because my family cares a lot about grades. However, after learning about Carol Dweck, I will now be more aware of that mindset. I suspect this will have a positive effect on me. If I manage to change my mindset I think my mental health would improve. Maybe my grades would too! I have one class this semester that I am very worried about. It is a mid-level French class that is supposed to be a bridge from barely being able to speak French to being able to speak it relatively well. It is scary because my French speaking skills are not that great yet. I think having a growth mindset would help me a lot with this class. If I can learn to embrace the challenge and forget about my anxiety I'm sure I will do much better in the class. 

Comments

  1. Hey Ann,

    It was interesting to read your thoughts on growth mindset. I, too, was relatively unfamiliar with it before taking Epics of India last semester. I think it is a good strategy to use this mindset for your French class. I have noticed myself applying this strategy to some of my science classes, and the results have been great.

    -Andy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Introduction to A Crazy Cat Lady

Week 9 Story: Alex, the Boy Who Stole Fox Power